Last year I created this list of things that I wanted to do while John was gone. Looking over this list, I’m pretty surprised that I got so much done. I’m disappointed with what I read, but in all fairness, I read a ton last year– just not the books that I said that I wanted to. Go figure! My new list for 2013-14 is residing at the 100 in 365 tab, now. Check it out and see what’s on my plate for a new year. Here’s what I accomplished, September 2012-September 2013!
7. Read the Bible in a year.
8. Read Louisa and Marmee.
10. Read Les Mis.
11. Read The Count of Monte Cristo.
12. Read Candide.
13. Read The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
15. Read The Three Musketeers.
16. Finally finish the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.
Read the Age of Miracles. This is the kind of book I want to write. So poignant and beautifully written.
22. Read American Sphinx.
Read the new JK Rowling book. It didn’t change my life, but it was certainly wonderful to read another book by JK. And it gave me hope that she’ll be writing and releasing another one!
Run the Baltimore half-marathon. Ashley and I walked/ran it on 10-13-12!
25. Get to my high school weight and stay there until the wedding, and preferably longer.
Be at the airport when John comes home for leave. We said hello on 01-06-13!
Start looking for housing for us when we know John’s orders.
Learn Something New
Take French lessons at JHU. Sadly, not happening this year.
Learn how to cook Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinner the way Mom does. Thanksgiving.
37. Re-learn how to sew.
Earn another certification this year. (Pending on program and cost…) Not happening this year.
40. Take a cake decorating class.
Learn how to actually play pinochle.
42. Learn a new song with Becky while she plays ukulele.
43. Learn how to make sushi.
44. Go to the Glass Grill and learn how to blow glass with Becky.
45. Take a self-defense class.
47. Write 6 short stories (0/6).
48. Enter at least 2 more short story contests or submit at least 2 more short stories for publication somewhere. (1/2)
Make a Christmas present for everyone in my and John’s families. (10/10) (Proof here!)
50. Make 12 new dinner recipes over the next 12 months. (1/12)
51. Make homemade marshmallows.
Complete two of the cross stitch wall hangings I bought for our first place together. (2/2)
54. Make a quilt with Mom. Worked on one, but it won’t be finished by the end of this year.
Make something for the English Department.
59. Cook an entirely organic meal.
Going Places and Seeing People
Visit PSU on a non-football game weekend. We went while John was home on leave!
Visit PSU on a non-football game weekend. Spent an awesome weekend with Becky on 2/16-18.
Visit PSU on a non-football game weekend. Cheered Becky on in her directorial debut on 2/22-24.
Visit PSU on a non-football game weekend. Blue and White Weekend on 4/19-21.
69. Visit the BMA.
70. Visit the Walter’s Art Museum.
74. Visit Vicki.
75. Visit a cute town on the Eastern Shore.
79. Go to a quilt show with Mom.
80. Attend and participate in a Holi Festival of Colors in Baltimore.
81. Hike Mt. Nittany.
82. Eat at Petite Louis in Roland Park.
85. Do 77 phone interviews for TFA. This is not going to happen since I missed the first round of interviews. New goal: do at least 25 phone interviews for TFA. (24/25) (Ah, so close!)
Do something ridiculous in my classroom (teach without talking, rap, etc.). Lesson with authentic Salem Witch Trials texts, spoke in a goofy, ye Olde Newe Englande dialect.
91. Read in the bathtub with cookies and candles. On a school night.
93. Play an April Fool’s prank.
94. Go to karaoke with my sisters.
95. Get Baltimore crabs with my sisters. We opted for sushi.
Run the Poetry Out Loud club at my school again this year.
Volunteer for a political campaign (preferably Obama’s). Phone banked with Shannon on 11/3/12.
100. Do 20 random acts of kindness that are out-of-my-way—not just holding a door open, etc. (3/20)