I participated in an Influencer Activation Program on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for the Beef Checkoff. I received products to facilitate this review and a promotional item to thank me for participating.
This summer, my family came to visit John and me for a few days. That was pretty exciting since we all have busy schedules and it’s hard to make them work together. We were hoping to have a pool party (I’m guilty of barely using our complex’s pool) and grill out. Alas, the weird weather won out and it was too cold (yes, too cold) to jump in the pool. (Boo.)
We still had a fabulous cookout, though, with a twist on a burger I used to LOVE in Baltimore. It was called the Obama after the President when he visited the restaurant during his campaign and was topped with apple slices, Gouda, and grilled onions. To be honest, it’s just a little too fallish for the summer.
Enter my very own Aloha Burger.
Beef. Pineapple. Bacon. Cheese. Really, what could go wrong? (Answer: nothing. It’s delicious!)
We had a fabulous time hanging out and eating dinner– even without the pool. The meal was reasonable in calories and healthy. I used 92% lean beef for the burger so we were still able to get those 10 essential vitamins that beef has, including B vitamins, Zinc, and Iron. Instead of fries or chips, we ate green beans and watermelon.
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef (We used 92% lean)
- Beef rub
- pineapple sliced into 6 “steaks” after being peeled and cored
- 6 slices of Gouda cheese
- 6 slices of turkey bacon, already grilled
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- Light mayo (optional)
- 1 1/2 lb fresh green beans, washed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- olive oil to taste
- sliced watermelon
- Mix ground beef and rub together according to directions for rub. Separate into 6 1/4 lb patties and set aside.
- Toss green beans with minced garlic and olive oil and wrap in an aluminum packet. Set aside.
- Place pineapple steaks and burger patties on the grill at the same time. Place the green bean packet on the grill, but not over direct heat.
- Grill burgers, flipping once. Internal temperature should hit 140 F before they are taken off the grill. When burgers are thoroughly cooked, add a slice of Gouda and melt. (Make sure to grill both sides of the pineapple steaks and flip the green bean packet as well.)
- Assemble burger: Kaiser roll bottom, burger, turkey bacon, pineapple steak, Kaiser roll top. Add light may if desired.
- Garnish plate with green beans and watermelon slice.