Thanks to Katie for this great guest post! This is not a sponsored post.
Homemade Mother’s Day cards are thoughtful, personalized artifacts that mom can cherish for many years to come. While store bought cards are sweet, DIY cards show you spent the time crafting something special that is guaranteed to make her smile! That’s why Personal Creations has made a step-by-step guide on how to make a pop up card. Following six simple steps, you’ll have an adorable Mother’s Day card in no time.
Pop Up Card How-To
- Glue stick
- 2 pieces of cardstock or construction paper
- Pop up card printables
- Craft materials to decorate with ie. glitter, watercolors, markers, crayons
Step 1: Fold a piece of construction paper or cardstock in half. To create a smaller card, cut your paper to size before folding.
Step 3: Open the card and fold tabs inward. Make a crease on each tab at the center. These should now be on the inside of the card.
Step 4: Print the pop up art. Cut the printable pop up art out and use a glue stick to secure to each tab.
Step 5: Fold the second piece of paper in half. This will be the outside of your final pop up card. Be sure to glue the outside of the first piece of paper. Then place the first piece of paper inside of the second piece of paper and press together, hiding the tab cutouts.
Step 6: Decorate your pop up card and personalize a message. Put finishing touches on your card by adding your craft materials such as glitter, additional drawn in designs or a sweet message.
Once you know how to create a pop up card, you’re ready to customize it for mom! Check out Personal Creations’ pop up card ideas below.
Bear Hug Pop Up Card
This homemade card is perfect for the mom who is always outside, tackling new adventures with nature. Remind her how much you care with the help of this furry friend.
- You’re the beary best!
- Thanks for bearing me, Mom!
- Life without you is un-bearable.
- I almost can’t bear how much I love you.
- I love you mama bear!
Pet Pop Up Card
Make a pet pop up card for the dog or cat mom! You’re pretty sure she has more photos of her pets than you and your siblings, and would love to see a replica of Sparky on her Mother’s Day card!
Instructions: This pop up card is a little different from the others. Rather than cutting slits into the construction paper, fold each of the pieces along the dotted lines.
- Glue the tail-side to the back of the card and secure the feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue the folded white section on one side of the rectangle. Attach to the the back side of the card overlapping with the back legs.
- Glue the front legs to the other side of the rectangle and attach the front feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue on the head, and your puppy or kitten card is complete!
- You’re the best doggone mom around!
- Raise the woof! It’s Mother’s Day!
- How’d I get such a pawsome mom like you?
- You’re purrfect in every way.
- I wuf you a lot.
Plant Pop Up Card
For the green thumb mom, this card is a great way to show someone how much she’s helped you grow. There’s no shortage of gardening or succulent puns—choose your favorite to celebrate this Mother’s Day!
- Life would succ without you!
- You’re plantastic! Thankful to have you in my life.
- I would prick you over anyone else.
- Aren’t you glad you’re stuck with me?
- Happy Mother’s Day! You’re always on point!
Printable Pop Up Card Decorations
Need a few more elements to take your card to the next level? These decorations from Personal Creations are sure to help! Try out these word bubbles, banners and other designs to decorate both the front and inside of your card.
When Katie isn’t writing at her desk, she loves to spend time traveling the world, reading and relaxing in yoga. Visit her website at Personal Creations.